On Wednesday night, I decided to make a broccoli cheese and potato soup recipe I found on Pinterest, but with my own healthy twist. it made a ton of soup and we had it for lunch every day this week! Yesterday was our final lunch of it, and I'm still so obsessed, I'm already thinking about when to make it again. It's not even soup weather anymore and I still want this soup. Seriously, not to toot my own horn (as I did not entirely create this recipe on my own), but it's that good. If you're looking for a big dose of veggies, and don't mind a bit of cheese, I highly recommend!
Healthy-ish Veggie Cheese Soup (Makes 6 - 8 hearty servings)
(Tweaked this original recipe by Lil' Luna)
- 2 - 14.5 oz. cans low-sodium veggie broth
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 small heads broccoli, washed and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cleaned and chopped into small cubes
- 6-8 large cremini mushrooms, washed and diced
- 4 kale leaves, washed and shredded
- 1/2 bag of frozen corn
- 3 tbsp of soy-free Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 4½ cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 3 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp sea salt
- In a large pot combine broth, 4 cups of water, carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic and frozen corn.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli, bell pepper, mushrooms, and kale. Cover and simmer for an additional 10 - 15 minutes.
- While simmering, melt Earth Balance in a large sauce pan. Whisk in the flour and cook for another minute (or until golden brown). Whisk in milk and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add cheese and stir until it is all melted. Add sea salt, garlic powder and pepper to taste.
- Pour cheese sauce into the large pot and stir until well combined.
- Add more milk for a thinner consistency and add any additional salt and pepper needed.
- Serve warm.